Saturday, August 13, 2011

Is God an "Absentee Landlord?"

"Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin'....He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!"   Al Pacino as the devil in "The Devil's Advocate"

I left out the profanity, though I considered leaving it because, well, it's the devil. He's profane. The movie gives one of the best depictions of the evil one I've seen, though he's still too charming.
The key point is that the devil, the accuser of God, calls God an "absentee landlord," a description that I've actually heard from the mouths of Christians. Words attributed to Satan come from the mouths of those who claim to be his children.

Now of course the movie is fiction. But is this better? Is it better that even nonbelievers know that considering God an "absentee landlord" dishonors him?

I've actually had an absentee landlord, who came to be known as "the voice." I never saw him or met him. We only talked on the phone. But I could talk to him. If I sought him with all of my heart, I would find and talk to my absentee landlord. Yet God is made out to be worse than even this. Those who accuse him, with the devil, of being an absentee landlord, make God out to be even more absent. They make God out to be unreachable, no matter how hard the seeker seeks him.

In doing this, they make him a liar, because he promises to be found by those who seek him with all of their hearts.

This is the irony: God is and will be absent from those who consider Him so, from those who doubt his presence and his desire to be present.

Where is God? He is with those who refuse to believe the lie of his absence.

1 comment:

  1. God is more than likely I will absentee landlord he sits and watches judges things he knows nothing about is not engaged in our lives unless you're putting money into a basket every week and begging for forgiveness for things out of your control. People who are drawn to a religion are people that are can we just weak-minded tools for afraid to be alone when they're getting ready to die. It's generally a fear or would I call the human fear threat reaction so they want to feel as if they're covered and have that Willy Wonka's golden ticket in heaven. So I will say it again a weak-minded. Follow this philosophy till the day they die my father is a perfect example of this. When we were kids scream and yell at us 10 minutes before going into the church and 5 minutes out of church baby beating on our asses. Sounds like a great way of life but such as life and that's a hard fact of reality being across most Catholics end-to-end. Wake up America actually wake up world!

    ReplyDelete