Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Meditations on the Matrix

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work...when you go to church...when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you to the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

In the Matrix movies I see so many analogies to Christian Spirituality. I see a a Satanic system and kingdom like the one Morpheus describes above, a system that can be seen everywhere, even now, in this very room. I see, in this very room, the absence of the acknowlegement of God; even an aversion to the knowledge of God. I see the same when I look out my window and turn on my television. But worst of all, I not only feel it at work, but at church. Even at church I ask the question, "Where is God?" I feel his absence in all of the places Morpheus describes. I feel his presence in me and with me, but outside of me seems to be at enmity with God in me. This is the Matrix, the bondage, the invisible prison for my mind. Everything in this world, as it is, seems to have one purpose: to be a distraction of Satan from the one true God of creation. In America there is still oppression. Americans are still slaves, not of the "white man," but of Satan.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you've seen it or not, but I bought this set when it first came out (cost about $90 at the time...now it's less than $20!) and it's a must-have for anyone who loves the movies and wants to explore all the themes in them: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Collection-Reloaded-Revolutions-Animatrix/dp/B0002Y69NG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1271341315&sr=8-1

    There's a whole documentary on the Philosophical/Theological aspects on one of the bonus discs as well as all-new commentaries by philosophers (such as Cornell West) that go along with all three films. If you don't have it, I'd put it on the wish list!

    Blessings, bro.
    JM
    www.jmsmith.org

    ReplyDelete